Venerable Reverend Nichidatsu Fuji, the founding preceptor of Nippozan Myohoji met Gandhiji in 1933 at Wardha and became a life-long admirer. Gandhiji, too, impressed by Rev. Fuji’s infinite clarity of purpose and dedication to peace and spirituality, named him Fuji Guriji.
When Fuji Guruji visited Wardha in 1983, he expressed his wish to build a Vishwa Shanti Stupa in Wardha. He himself selected the site in the Gitai campus. After the demise of Fuji Guruji, Rev. Imaiiji took over as head of Japan Bharat Sarvodaya Mitrata Sangh.
Under the Chairmanship of Mr. Ramkrishna Bajaj, Fuji Guruji Memorial Trust was established. The foundation stone was laid in 1989. It was inaugurated by the President of India, Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma in 1993. The Stupa stands tall and grand as a symbol of world peace.